A fantastic invention, LEDs may be utilized as light sources and for adornment. They provide a variety of advantages, one of which is the option to use a remote control to alter their hue to fit a specific mood or vibe. Why, therefore, do LED lights occasionally change colors on their own?
Your LED strip lights may change colors due to several factors. It’s possible that the color-changing feature has been engaged and is currently rotating through all the possible colors at a whim.
What Causes LED Lights To Change Colors By Themselves?
1. A Faulty Remote Control
Led lights are notorious for changing colors continuously and on their own, and the leading cause could be a malfunctioning remote control. The remote control wouldn’t be able to communicate if it were already damaged, and it might have buttons jammed inside.
You will need a new remote control if the one you have is broken, so attempting to repair it would be pointless. Take the remote control far away or outside the range of the LED light to see if the LED light still changes colors on its own. This will allow you to be sure that the issue is with your remote control for the LED light.
Additionally, you can take the remote controller’s battery out to make sure it isn’t acting up and altering the led lights’ colors. Any internet business or a nearby brick-and-mortar retailer both sell replacement remote controls.
2. Poor Circulation-Related Overheating
Your LED strip lights may also be changing colors on their own if they are overheating, which can be brought on by insufficient airflow or inadequate insulation.
- Heat might cause the LED light to automatically change colors. This occurs due to the LED strip light heating up and then cooling off.
- A portion of the color components rises to the top as it warms up, while other color components sink back into the LED lights’ inner.
- The diodes’ color may change if the led light is not allowed to cool properly.
Insulation and sufficient ventilation are the most remarkable ways to prevent this. Place the LED lights where there is adequate airflow for ventilation, and ensure there is room around them to allow for this.
Direct sunlight exposure can also result in overheating, so if your led strip lights are going to be positioned close to a window, make sure there is enough distance between them to allow for sufficient airflow.
Put the LED lights in a cool, well-ventilated area that is well shielded from extreme heat for insulation. Ensure adequate ventilation and insulation to safeguard your led lights if you set them in a region where there may be dampness.
3. Bug In The Software
Your LED lights changing colors on their own should probably be due to this more than anything else. Many led strip lights feature software and codes that let them react to sensors, remote controls, and occasionally sound.
You may mix the colors of led lights to create new colors using these codes and software.
The LED lights could, however, operate sporadically due to software issues, changing color every time you turn them on or off.
Additionally, the codes used to program the led lights might not work with more recent software versions, so if you upgrade your software and modify the program, some of your led lights might act strangely.
If so, you must get in touch with the led light’s manufacturer and request that they troubleshoot and resolve the problems with your lights.
You can also see if the software has been updated to support the particular type of led lights you have.
You can’t know what kind of software—and if it’s functional with your led lights—the seller of the LED light used if you bought it from a secondhand store.
The led light will not be harmed by this software bug, nor will it impact any of the other features.
Only a few LED lights will be affected, either turning on or off or changing color without any apparent explanation.
Purchasing a product that was developed using cutting-edge technology regularly updated and debugged is the best method to avoid this.
4. Miniature LED Light Extension
The light may change colors on its own if you extend the length of one brand of led light by connecting it to another brand of strip light that is not compatible.
Led lights from different brands are not all created equal; thus, if they are incompatible, the led strip light may act unpredictably.
Making extensions with the same lights from the same brand should be attempted as much as possible.
This holds true even if you connect the led lights with a separate extension cord.
The led lights may act unpredictably if the extension cord is incompatible with your specific brand of the LED light.
To prevent this problem, you must get the proper extension cable for your LED light.
The best way to ensure that you won’t have any issues and to prevent your light from changing colors and making you feel like you’re in a 1980s disco is to do this.
5. A Prolonged Period of Continuous Use
It is not well-known that LEDs or components generally are exceptionally robust.
They only function effectively for a short period before beginning to falter. If your led lights are acting strangely, bear in mind that this does not necessarily signify that your product has defective components.
If you see problems with your LED light, see if its lifespan has expired.
It is a good idea to see if your lights have been continuously utilized for an extended time before reporting any unpredictable behavior, such as color change, from them.
If you see that despite using your led lights for many years, the behavior only started to occur recently, you might wish to look for any apparent damage indicators.
Led strip lights should not be used if their shell or components are damaged.
This is because the damage could impair their performance, and if so, your led lights could short-circuit or ignite.
6. Power Variations
Power fluctuations are another factor that may be causing your led strip lights to randomly change colors.
Your led lights could change colors or reset if there are power spikes or voltage drops.
This is because your light’s diodes react to the power fluctuations and change color.
This is why a surge protector is recommended when using led lights, albeit there’s nothing you can do to stop power fluctuations if they happen frequently or are brought on by lightning.
To prevent power fluctuations, you might try utilizing a battery pack for your led lights, but you can’t be sure this will work.
Try adjusting the color of your led lights in a dark environment to see if they will change colors on their own if you want to be confident that your led light is the source of the issue.
How To Prevent LED Strip Lights From Changing Colors On Their Own
It is time to examine potential remedies to the problem of your led strip lights changing colors on their own after carefully going over all the possible causes why this might be happening.
- Verify that the remote control for your lights is working correctly.
- Old LED strip lights that have outlived their usefulness should be thrown away.
- Ensure your LED lights are not placed close to any heat sources to avoid damage.
- Ensure adequate ventilation in the area around your LED lights.
- Additionally, avoid installing LED lights in highly tight spaces because doing so can cause overheating.
- Ensure that nothing is covering the LED lights (such as drapes or carpets), as this could lead to damage.
- Check to see whether your lights have reached the end of their useful life if you want to ensure they are functioning correctly. As previously stated, it is recommended to stop using the led strip lights and purchase a new set if they have outlived their usefulness.
- Checking to see whether the power cords are malfunctioning is another approach to confirm that your led lights are operating as intended. Ensure adequate ventilation in the area around your lights.
- Check whether your outlets are functioning correctly if your led strip lights aren’t getting the same amount of electricity from them.
- Instead of connecting it to the wall, try utilizing a battery pack to make sure the power fluctuations aren’t harming your LED lights.
It’s conceivable that there are further, more fundamental problems with your led strip lights if none of the above options assist you in resolving your issue.